Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Wallpaper Dreams!

I'm not sure when I first saw it, but it wasn't all that long ago.  It was probably on one of the HGTV or DIY Network shows I stream online.  A gigantic floral print of peonies - dramatic, bold, drop dead gorgeous.  It was like - HOLY HATHOR!  How beautiful is that!  And then two weeks ago, Mina Starsiak Hawk used something similar in her master suite bathroom makeover on the current HGTV show "Rock the Block," and it was like OH I WANT IT, I WANT IT! 

Well, wanting it and being willing to spend a lot of money (I'm very tight with my home improvement money) are two different things, sigh. 

I don't think this is exactly the paper/mural Mina used, but it's very similar to this wallpaper:


Of the various options I've seen online that appealed to me, this is the least expensive one at $99.00 on sale for one roll that is sized 8.3' L x 145" W, from Wayfair.com.  Brewster Home Fashions Komar La Maison Wall Mural.  This is not peel and stick wallpaper.  According to several of the reviews I read, it comes with a powder wallpaper paste mix, but the description indicates nothing about paste being included.  Also, one review said the pieces were applied horizontally, not vertically.  What???  I did not go through all of the reviews, but I didn't read any mention in other reviews that the pieces were hung horizontally and not vertically!  I don't think this color scheme would work with my current tile colors in the bathroom, even if I painted the walls white; looks like shades of gray, white and pink.  Notice it also has a subtle pattern in the background that looks sort of a pale peach or possibly pink color.  It also has "handwritten" text on it, which was pointed out by several of the reviewers who purchased the product, who said it wasn't something they'd noticed on the images provided at Wayfair.  How spectacular this would look in my bedroom.

It's free to dream, so - dream along with me! 

I love the black background of this paper - the drama!  But the price, oh the price!  I'd want to run the paper or mural from ceiling to baseboard and all the way across one wall.  For a standard 8' tall wall (96" and say a 12' wide wall) the cost is - well, to me anyway - staggering at $540 - on sale at 56% off the full retail price of $1,236 for a roll measuring 98" L x 150" W, from Wayfair.  This isn't a peel and stick, and it's not pasted, but does come with paste (that is stated in the Specifications).


With this color scheme, I might not need to fret about replacing the tile.  Even though there are small areas of pink and even yellow in this paper, the primary colors are black, the dusky greens and white to gray colors.  I think this would look stunning wrapped around a wall or two in my bathroom.  With the rest of the walls painted white, this might work with my beige tile surround in the tub/shower area and the tile on the floor and accent tiles behind the sink.  House of Hampton Peony Blossom Floral Textile Texture Wall Mural.  But -

Another take on giant peonies, this is a 10' L x 10' (120") W peel and stick mural at $3.35 a square foot, from Wayfair.  This is 100 square feet so the total cost would be $335.00.  Interestingly, different sized murals in the same design are priced higher per square foot for smaller sizes.  Hmmmm.


This color scheme is described as white, green and brown.  Brown?????  I see various shades of pink, white, grey and dusty green.  Am I color blind - where's the brown?  Anyway, love it!  Big, bold, spectacular.  This would work with my current olive green mottled tile floors and the greenish/brownish shiny glass mosaic tiles marching up to the ceiling behind the vanity, as well as the beige-y mottled tiles in the shower/tub surround.  But the price, oh, the price.  It's just not going to happen and I can't say unless I win the lottery because I don't play the lottery.  House of Hampton Removable Vintage Bouquet Peonies

Below is the option I like best thus far.  It would give me the drama of the black, and the other shades in the design would work well with the existing tiles I have.  The 90" L x 135" W is $537 and does not include shipping charges.  Yikes! 


This is the Creme Full Blossom Removable Mural from Muse Wall Studio

So, it doesn't appear I'll be applying anything so dramatic as the choices above, unless I find a really spectacular bargain somewhere online.  But I do want to paint the bathroom and get rid of the olive green walls with something lighter and brighter.  White would work but might be too stark.  On the other hand, I don't want a wall color that would be a whiteish color tinted with a beige tone, because I'd worry it would look dingy or dirty next to the white woodwork.  So - I need to think about this for awhile and look at tons of images of bathrooms before arriving at something I think will work for my taste and budget.  I guess that may take oh four or five years...

No comments:

Post a Comment