Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Saturday, November 6, 2021

Oops, I Did It Again!

 Hola!  Well, I didn't expect to be back here so soon, but here I am.

After Christmas 2019, I decided that I just couldn't handle lugging my 6.5' artificial Christmas tree up and down the basement stairs any longer.  Even in three separate parts it was h-e-a-v-y!  The tree had given me a long and great service of about 10 years, but had reached the end of its life.

So, I opted for a smaller tree.  I had seen advertised at Balsam Hill (way out of my price range but gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous trees!) a "blended" PVC and PE tree.  I hunted around online for a less expensive "blended" tree, and eventually settled on another vendor.  I thought I had bought a 5 1/2 foot tall tree and would stand it on a covered 12 inch tall base of some sort.  That was the plan, but the actual "green" part of the tree I purchased was only 4 1/2 feet tall with another 12 inches of bare metal central pole plus the base.  I liked the tree because the PE soft bristle branches (only located at the ends of many of the branches but not on all of them) gave the tree a realistic appearance and the price had been good, so I thought - okay, give it a go.

Suffice to say, it was a hodgeboge mess.  I couldn't find a table that gave me the look/height I wanted. I ended up using a table I already owned.  I covered up the bottom bare portion of the metal "trunk" and the tree base" with some of my old white feather boas and twined some lights in and out.  I loved the decorations on the tree, but the rest of it - a big disappointment.  The proportions between tree/table and window were all off.

This is what the new tree looked like for Christmas 2020:


Nearly as much table and mismatched cloths as tree.  Not a good look.  I loved how the decorations on the tree looked from the bottom branches up, hated how it looked from the bottom of the tree downward.

Oh how I missed my 6.5' tall but ratty old tree!  I see now (hindsight) I should have gotten a teal blue piece of cloth or something to put underneath the gold tree skirt rather than my fall back deep red faux satin flat sheet. Well, you know what they say about hindsight being 100% perfect.  Anyway...

Today while I was checking the news online and saw that Michael's was having a 40% (or more) off sale on Christmas trees.  Having been watching "Ramon at Home" on Youtube for at least the last month already (what can I say, I love Christmas and Ramon is one of the best decorators of Christmas trees I have ever come across on Youtube), I didn't even try to resist. I went online to Michael's to look for a new Christmas tree.

I was looking for a 6 foot tree.  They are available, but I just could not find one that I absolutely fell in love with.  And then I fell in love - with a 6.5' tall tree.  LOL - the same height but even WIDER dimension than the tree I had decided after Christmas 2018 was just too big for me to handle any longer.  Go figure, I sure can't, not even gonna try.

The tree is the an unlit Full Snowy Delta Pine with Pine Cones, 6.5 feet. It has white "frosting" on its tips and on the pinecones.  That the tree be unlit was a must for me, no more trying to mess with dying lights on a prewired tree.  It's actually easier and more relaxing for me to weave individual strands of lights in and out on the branches and replace them as needed if I can find the faulty light(s).  The price of this frosted pine-coned beauty made me hesitate though.  It was more than I wanted to pay at $179.99, about 50% off from the listed price.

I didn't want to pay any more than $150 with free shipping.  Disappointed, I was moving on to something else when I thought (duh!) - try doing a search using the key word descriptions for the tree you love.  And lo and behold, I found the tree - at all different prices at several different vendors.  

I ended up buying the tree from Bison Office for $139.30 with free shipping.  Exact same tree.  Delivery date 10 days away but I'm fine with that.  Here's hoping the tree actually turns out to look like this:

Fingers crossed!




No comments:

Post a Comment