Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Friday, March 1, 2019

HGTV's "Copy Our Cover" - The Look for Less Jan's Way! Part III

Hola!

More snow is on the way, sigh.  I've brushed up on my ice-skating skills, meanwhile, because most everything is still pretty much covered in a coat of ice from the last snow covered with sleet storm we had last weekend.  No spring in sight in this neck of the woods!

This was the challenge I set myself - see if I could do this room for less.  It's HGTV Magazine's March 2019 cover.


Part I.
Part II.

Today I'm looking at art.  Because it's so personal in taste, about the only thing you may recognize as similar to the art picked out by HGTV is the Swallowtail butterfly - but you'll see my own take on how to do it for way less than the $50 price tag HGTV paid for a 6" x 6" framed print!  I tried to stay true (more or less) to subject matter, picking out several different still lifes and other prints that reflect the colors in the room.

HGTV's total for the artwork it selected was $415.00 for pieces of arts, four of which did not include the frames/glass (an additional cost). All of the art I selected is available in various sizes at different prices, so you can pick the sizes you like to create your gallery wall once you settle on frames.

The Art

This poster/print is from Great Big Canvas, it is "Still Life with Turquoise Bottle" by Sylvia Paul, in the 16' x 16" size, unframed, $20.99.  This print, like others at Great Big Canvas, is also available on canvas, framed prints and wall peels.  Pictured below:


Also from Great Big Canvas, poster/print "Singing Season Wall Art" by Heather Craig, in the 20" x 16" size, unframed, $20.99.  Pictured below:


How about a free Swallowtail butterly print?  Fly on over to Shutterstock, scroll down to about row 23 or so and check out the very last butterfly photo at the end of the row - I swear its the same butterfly with the same intense and beautiful blue and black covers and markings!   Print on white paper, insert in your own frame and voila!  Best of all, you can print this out to a size you like, you're not limited to the 6" x 6" size.  Pictured below:


From Society6, this is "Party Cat" by Frankie Print Co., on sale at $17.99 (reg. $23.99), 13" x 16".  Pictured below:


Also from Society6, this is "Tuxedo Cat Napping Chair" by Lara Lee Meintjes, on sale at $28.49 (reg. $37.99), 17" x 20".  Pictured below:


This print is a switch to a totally different direction - an abstract with perfect colors!  It's from Society6 as well, "Pink Sky II Art Print" by lalunetricotee.  I picked out a larger size for it to add variety, it's 22" x 26" on sale for $31.49 (reg. $41.99).  Pictured below:


I like the art at Society6 - tons of art prints in varying sizes available at reasonable prices.
I also like Great Big Canvas for poster/prints in larger sizes at reasonable prices - a large selection of everything under the sun to satisfy eclectic taste.  For vintage and antique botannicals, I like The Graphics Fairy.  And there's Pinterest that offers hundreds, maybe even thousands, of pins of art work, like this page of classical style still lifes.

I have a stash of frames from various pieces of art and purchased to frame poster/prints, etc. over the years, and that's my first "go to" stash if I want to frame something.  Spray paint or craft acrylic paint in white and black is usually on hand to change a frame color in a flash.  I also have my go-to sources for inexpensive new frames:  Family Dollar, Michael's and Joanne Fabrics. There's a Family Dollar just a few blocks from my home; I order frames from Michael's and Joanne Fabrics online rather than toting them home on the bus.

Here's a handy guide for the size of frame (if it has a mat included) to purchase for standard size prints to take the guessing out:  Standard Picture Frame Sizes.

The last part of this challenge was the most daunting - picking out area rugs.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment